Rinsed Rice Water For Plants
Rinsed Rice Water For Plants:- Rice is the staple of world’s half population. Billions of people are consuming it on regular basis. If you have cooked rice, you first clean it with water, don’t you? I have no doubt you do. After rinsing the rice, you throw that rice Water in drainage. Right? Now, Think – When billion of people are cooking rice, how much water will be wasted daily? You can just imagine. Lots of people are throwing water after washing the rice, saying it has no use. But, What if I told you, this water works amazingly when it comes to giving nutrients to the plants and repelling insects. Yes – Rice water is like white liquid gold for plants. Now, You must be thinking, how can we use this for plants as fertilizer? Don’t Worry! – We are here to guide you.
In this article of our blog, guide2agriculture, We will be discussing on how can we use rinsed rice water for Plants, Procedure and it’s other benefits in detail.
Before using rinsed rice water for Plants, You must be wandering, what is present in it for our plants? Rice is a great source of Minerals, Vitamins, Antioxidants, . Studies shows that, when we wash rice grain, almost half of nutrients are lost from water due to leaching. That’s means, Rice has made water a nutrient rich liquid. Therefore, It is used for plants by different Botanist and Gardeners. It performs in a remarkable way when it comes to indoor plants. The nutrients present in this white liquid works a food for plants. So – We have listed the nutrient percentage present in it below:-
15 Amino Acids
As we got to see in this list that, this water has minimal amount of Primary Nutrients N, P, K – It shouldn’t be used as replacement for fertilizers in plants. But, For small indoor plants, It is sufficient for nutrient requirement. It works as complete fertilizer source for small indoor plants. Again, You must be wandering, If water remaining after rice wash can’t be used instead of fertilizer in a bit larger plants, then how it works for better plant growth and development? Lets see.
Effect Of Rinsed Rice Water
Rinsed Rice water has amazing effect in growth and development of our plants. It is not the fertilizer nutrient in it that works, the magic lies in starch i.e Carbohydrate. Carbohydrates present in rice water is abundant. That’s why, it works as fertilizer booster for any plant.
Though it provides different nutrients, minerals including N, P, K in small amount,It provide starch in greater amount. The starch in this water serve as food. Food not for plant, But for a very important bacteria called Lacto Bacilli.
These Lacto Bacilli bacterias are very beneficial for our plants. They help in the fast growth of Mycorrhizal fungi. This Mycorrhizal fungi makes network with plants root. There is a symbiosis relationship between plants and mycorrhiza. This fungi promotes the better root growth and increase the absorptive surface area of plants by 1000%. When the root are large and distributed widely, Plants can easily withstand the harsh climate and can absorb available nutrients more effectively and efficiently from the soil.
In this way – Rinsed Rice water has positive effect in proper growth and development of plants along with making the plant disease resistance. That’s why – Many botanist recommend rice grain water for Plants.
Now that we have learned about its effect on plant, let’s learn how we can prepare it that can be used for plants.
How To Use Rice Water?
The cloudy liquid suspension that remains when we wash the rice grain with water is called rice water. This cloudy white colour is due the starchy powder present in rice grain. To use rice water for plants as a fertilizer, there are two ways:- Either use in fresh form or Fermented form for plants. Both of these methods are explained below:-
1.Non – Fermented/ Fresh Rice Water
When we wash water, the white liquid can be directly given to plants. This is fresh rice water. We can also add some water in it. There is another way from which we can obtain the fresh rice water for Plants. We can cook rice with more water (Don’t Cook In Pressure Cooker). When water boils, we can strain that hot white water into another container. We should allow this hot water to be cool to normal room temperature. If we use it in hot condition, the plants dies due to root damage. After cooling, we can directly give this rice water for plants or we can add some water in it to be used for more number of plants.
2.Fermented Rice Water
This is another complicated yet effective rice water making procedure. This can be used for longer duration. The main concept of rice water fermentation is formation of large number of Lacto Bacilli bacterias that will help in growth and development of plants. We can make fermented rice water for Plants by following these steps:-
- First of all wash the rice with water until the water becomes deep cloudy white colour.
- To ferment, keep the water inside a clean container and put a lid on the mouth of container in such a way that, little air can pass inside the container. You can also cover the open area with cloth and tie with rubbar band.
- Keep the container outside the home but in shade area. If directly sunlight falls on container, It will kill all the bacterias forming inside the container. Keep the rice water for 3-4 days for proper fermentation and formation of Lacto Bacilli bacterias.
- After 3-4 days, pour the water into another container and add milk. For every 1 part of fermented rice water add 10 parts of milk.
- The addition of milk makes favourable condition for the growth and development of Lacto Bacilli bacterias. It will also eliminate other bacterias. Keep this way for 5-7 days. After this time, the fermented rice water is ready to use for plants.
How To Use:- To use fermented water for Plants, after preperation of fermented rice water, you can store it for a bit duration. For storage, you need to place it in cool place along with regular addition of sugar or mollases. Sugar and mollases serve as the energy source for Lacto Bacilli bacterias. Now – To use this, You can take 1 part fermented rice water and 15 parts of water. You can do down watering or top watering or misting for application in plants.
Can We Use This Water For Succulents?
Many people ask a question, Can we use rice water for succulent plants? The answer is yes. The succulent plants don’t need much fertilizer. So, This water is enough for them. It is best to mist the succulent rather than using other method of application. Now – Lets learn about the precautions that should be kept in mind while using it for our plants.
Rice water for plants is beneficial not only from the fertilizer point of view. It can work amazingly as insecticide and pesticides. Some examples are:-
- It can be used to keep fruit flies away from bitter gourd.
- Regular application in plants keeps the aphids away.
- Thrips attacking the tomato can be prevented.
- For fresh application in plants, Avoid using hot rice water as it may led to the death of plant.
- Too much application of rice water is dangerous as it is likely to form fungi in root.
Benefits Of Rice water
- Organic source of nutrient to the plants.
- Promotes better root growth of plants along with symbiotic relationship with mycorrhiza.
- Protection of plants from diseases and pests.
- Prevents the wastage of water.
- Easy and cost effective source of feed for plants.
- It maintains the greenery of plants.
- Best for indoor plants.
As we know from this article, Rice water is truely a liquid gold for plants. The use of this liquid prevent the waste of nutrients and water. It is an eco-friendly approach and can help in remarkable development of organic farming. Therefore, One should definitely try this at home to see the positive effect of rice water in our plants. This is whole information on Rinsed Rice Water For Plants: Using Procedure And Benefits.
You May Like These Articles:-
Jump To Sections
- 1 Rinsed Rice Water For Plants